Atlantic City was born in the mid-nineteenth century and grew so big, so fast, that it captured the American imagination. It was ‘the World’s Playground’. Its hotels were the largest and finest, its nightclubs legendary. And then, as it began to fade, the casinos came. But instead of reviving the city they killed it. Chief among the villains in this piece is Donald J Trump, who built his casinos on dunes of debt and bled them into bankruptcy. On the presidential campaign trail Trump boasted of his ‘success’ in Atlantic City, how he had outwitted Wall Street and leveraged his own name for riches. He would do for America what he had done for Atlantic City, he said. And so it came to be. Brian Rose has documented what remains of the city in the aftermath of the casino explosion. The images are haunting. Atlantic City may never recover.
Brian Rose studied at Cooper Union with photographers Joel Meyerowitz and Larry Fink. He has published numerous books, including The Lost Border, The Landscape of the Iron Curtain (2004). His photographs are in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Paul Goldberger is a Contributing Editor at Vanity Fair. He also holds the Joseph Urban Chair in Design and Architecture at the New School in New York City. His many books include Building Art – The Life and Work of Frank Gehry (2015).
- Brian Rose
- Paul Goldberger
- Jean-Michel Dentand
26 × 30cm
10 ¼ × 11 ¾ in
60 colour photographs
£39.95 | $60.00
- Atlantic City: Photographs By Brian Rose
Terrain.org, 06 October 2019
- A Photographer Sees a Prophecy of Trump’s America in Atlantic City
Hyperallergic, 01 July 2019
- Brian Rose – Atlantic City
PhotoBook Journal, 20 May 2019
- Book of the Week: Selected by Blake Andrews
photo-eye, 06 May 2019
- Snapshot: ‘Atlantic City’ by Brian Rose
Financial Times, 27 April 2019
- Photographing the Trumpian Urbanism of Atlantic City
CityLab, 18 April 2019
- Atlantic City
MAS CONTEXT, 09 April 2019
- Atlantic City: 'Trump turned this place into a ghost town'
The Guardian, 08 April 2019
- Trump’s Casinos Couldn’t Make Atlantic City Great Again
Wired, 19 March 2019
- Brian Rose’s ‘Atlantic City’
Route 40, 05 March 2019
- A bleak portrait of Trump’s failed Atlantic City kingdom
Fast Company, 18 July 2018